I've written before about my daughters' refusal to go to summer camp when they were younger. While most kids were spending their days learning about science or new soccer moves, mine were content to stay home and spend those long hot summer days watching me work. Although I can't say I blame them -- there is something magical about the way I hunch over my keyboard.
But all that changed one summer when they agreed to go to the Adventures in Nature camp at the Natural History Museum in LA. Who knew that learning about dinosaurs, birds and minerals could be more fun than watching your mom yell at the computer screen? Well, something about being in a class that took place inside the museum, and where they could get a behind-the-scenes glimpse reeled them right in -- they continued going to the camp for years until they outgrew it. And these were classes taught by people trained in the sciences -- no chance of showing up at class and realizing your friend's gross older brother was going to be telling you how to play dodgeball all summer.
Besides the camp, the museum has so much to offer and we go there several times a year as a family. I grew up going to the NHM and I'll continue to support them, and here's a great offer if you want to check it out: For a (very) limited time, you can buy a family membership for $60 -- that's UNLIMITED FREE admission for 2 adults and 4 children. But hurry -- the offer expires at midnight on Thursday, May 20.
And the best part -- the membership gives you a discount on the Adventures in Nature camp I was telling you about.
Here's what else you'll get:
- UNLIMITED FREE admission for 2 adults and 4 children (ages 17 and under) to the Natural History Museum
- UNLIMITED FREE admission to Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits and William S. Hart Ranch & Museum in Newhall
- FREE admission to special exhibits and events including: Pavilion of Wings, Spider Pavilion, Bug Fair and First Fridays
- 10% discount in the Museum Stores
- Discounts on educational classes, camps and overnight adventures
- 4 FREE guest passes valid at the Natural History Family of Museums ($36 Value)
Click here to take advantage of the offer, and to find out more about the museum.
(You must purchase your membership through this link to get the special offer.)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
tags: natural history museum los angeles | adventures in nature camp | savvy source | savvy savings