Friday, May 28, 2010

Bobby Flay Got All Up In My Grill (Book)

A couple of months ago I was invited to attend a taping of a commercial that chef Bobby Flay was doing for Hellmann's. I had to cancel the morning of the shoot because one of my kids was sick, but Kathleen, the coordinator, was nice enough to send me a copy of Flay's new book Bobby Flay's Burgers Fries and Shakes.

I'm just getting around to checking it out now because I wanted to get some grilling ideas for all those fabulous backyard parties I have planned for the summer, the ones where I fire up the Tiki torches, have my cabana boy bring me a martini and lounge by the pool. After I remembered I don't have a pool and the neighbors didn't like me asking their sons to fetch me my drinks, I got out the torches, opened up Flay's new book, and started looking for ideas. And this is what I found:


He autographed it! Now that Bobby Flay has touched my book I know for sure I'll have no problem cooking up the perfect burger or grilling the perfect kebab. Goodbye charred, blackened slabs of inedible flesh, hello succulent, delicious pieces of meat. (Insert inappropriate cabana boy reference here.)

(Wait -- is that really his signature or one of his staffers? Is he really sorry he missed me? Does he really use Hellmanns mayonnaise? These are the things that keep me up at night.)

I haven't had time to try out any of the grilling recipes yet, but I did whip up a batch of his Horseradish Mustard Mayonnaise the other day, and it was delicious. Dip your fries in this, pretend you're sitting by the pool and have the neighbor bring you a tall one.

Bobby Flay's Horseradish Mustard Mayonnaise
(Flay says this sauce is traditionally served alongside prime rib, but recommends it for burgers, too. I say it's probably good with everything.)

1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons drained prepared horseradish
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Optional: chopped fresh herbs such as chives, dill or tarragon. 

Whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard and horseradish in a small bowl and season withthe salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. The sauce can be prepared 1 day in advance and kept covered in the refrigerator. Makes 1/2 cup.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


tags: | |

Pin It

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails