Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Blogger Luncheon at the Beach: It's a Tough Job But Somebody's Got To Do It



A few weeks ago I was invited to a blogger's luncheon hosted by Child's Play Communications. The event took place in the beautiful courtyard of the Shade Hotel in sunny Manhattan Beach, and while there we had to dine on a delicious buffet of amazing food, drink refreshing "Momosas" and then receive wonderful products from a variety of companies. I also had my makeup done and then ate ice cream. The torture was relentless I tell you.

All kidding aside, it was a fantastic event, and besides getting to hang out with some of my blogger friends I got to check out a host of interesting products. Many of them were for younger kids, but there were a few that were targeted towards the tweens and teens and a few that were just for the moms. Here are some that I especially liked:

Dyson: Maybe you have to be a parent to understand how anyone could lust after a vacuum cleaner, but if you heard the gasps and moans when the winner of the Dyson raffle was announced you'd get a pretty good idea. I think of Dyson as the George Clooney of household appliances, something totally hot and completely out of my league. Someday I'll have one and tame that bad boy. I'm going to stop here before I start making inappropriate references to hoses.

Pottery Barn Teens: I'm a big Pottery Barn fan, and they were there highlighting their bedding and accessories line for teens and tweens. Which is perfect since I'm planning on a major overhaul here during the summer -- my 12 & 14 year olds will be getting their own rooms. (Just thinking about it makes me want to dive under the covers, or in this case a tasteful duvet.) I love all of PB Teens' room themes -- nothing too overly 'girly' -- and I'm especially in love with these pillows.

Toyota: I had a Toyota Camry for years and never had it accelerate uncontrollably through a storefront, so I still believe in the brand. And with our Quest getting on in years we've been thinking about what to buy next. Unfortunately I missed out on the test drives the Toyota reps were giving, but I did pick up a brochure that has me crushing on a Sienna.

Pajama Jeans: They're jeans! They're pajamas! They're jeans! What they are is perfect for someone who calls herself sweatpantsmom, don't you think? They're soft, stretchable pants that look like jeans but feel like pajamas. And can totally be worn out in public, no matter what my husband says. And while they elicited some groans from my teenager when she saw them, I say they're the greatest invention since, well, sweatpants.

Backyard Safari Outfitters: Summit Toys was there to introduce their new line of outdoor-themed toys, and when they showed me one of them it was as if they had read my mind: A BUG VACUUM. How cool is this? Now I could get my kids actively involved in getting rid of spiders for me, and pass it off as 'fun'! I especially liked the two guys they sent to represent their company. They were dressed like Scout leaders and were truly enthusiastic about getting kids interested in the great outdoors. Many of their items could be used for kids to put together their own mini earthquake kits, particularly timely given all of the rumbling that's been going on.

Temptress: This beauty and skincare boutique in El Segundo sent over a couple of makeup artists to do some touch-ups on the brunching mom bloggers. What a FABULOUS idea! I wish more events would have lipstick and eyeshadow at the ready -- it would save me hours in prep time.

Coldstone Creamery: The ice cream chain brought along their newest creation, The Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich. Coldstone ice cream sandwiched between two gigantic Oreo cookies. Need I say more?

Shade Hotel: Last but not least, the scene of this lovely event, the modern, hip Shade Hotel. I've passed by the hotel several times and have dined at the nearby Le Pain Quotidien, but never stopped to look inside. I'm glad I finally got a chance to check it out, because it's definitely on my list of local hotels to explore. It's right in the middle of a cluster of trendy shops and restaurants, and best of all - walking distance from the beach.

Thanks to Child's Play Communications for a fun, relaxing amazing afternoon in the sun! You really know how to make a girl suffer.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

tags: | | | | | |

Pin It

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails