Monday, July 25, 2011

Road Trip 2011: Now With Less Napkins

This post is part of a partnership with Allstate.

One of my most vivid memories of a road trip with my kids happened over ten years ago while on a drive up to San Francisco. My husband and I had stopped for our fiftieth cup of coffee and we had gotten the girls, around five and three at the time, a couple of cookies. For some reason the two of them started bickering when we got back in the car and a few minutes later it had turned into a full-blown fight. Not over the cookies, but OVER A NAPKIN. My husband immediately pulled over to the side of the road, stopped the car and took the napkin away, resulting in the two of them sobbing uncontrollably. OVER A NAPKIN.

Road trips are a lot different now that they're teenagers. Usually they're both plugged into their iPods, only occasionally taking their earphones off to inquire when we're stopping to eat or to confer with each other on the hotness of the boys in the car next to us. Don't get me wrong – I enjoy the quiet and the ability to have a conversation with my husband while we're driving, but sometimes I almost miss the bickering.

On our next trip, I'm thinking of throwing a napkin back there just to see what happens.

_______

One thing for certain: we have many more road trips in our future, and always at issue is safety while we're traveling. Here's something that has helped eased my mind – a new program from Allstate called Good Hands Roadside Assistance that offers pay-as-you-go roadside assistance. And you can sign up right here:


With Good Hands Roadside Assistance:
  • You do not need to have Allstate insurance to use this service
  • You only pay when you use it, there are no monthly fees
  • Pre-registering for Good Hands Roadside Assistance provides faster service at time of need on the road. Those that pre-register will also receive welcome kit in the mail containing a wallet card, key fob and window cling with the phone number for roadside help.
  • You can register for up to 5 users on your account

From now on, the Good Hands Roadside Assistance number will always be in my glove compartment before leaving on any road trip. Along with a few extra napkins. 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

I was compensated for my participation in this program, but no restrictions were placed on the content of my review. All opinions are solely my own. 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Pin It

2 comments:

Ellsworth McIltrot said...

Now that would be very interesting, wouldn't it? Throw in a napkin to the car's backseat and let's see if the kids will set their iPods aside and get back to the good ol' bickering. But here's to more awesome road trips for you! It's interesting to know how many cars you have already owned and how many places you have already been to.

SoMo Mom said...

Wow, the grass really IS always greener. My kids (7 & 9) are in the "fighting over a napkin" stage and I was just thinking santa just might have to bring ipods for christmas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails