Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chillin' At The Got Milk Event

A few weeks ago the fantastic Got Milk? people invited me to a Summer Drinks event to share some of their favorite recipes for cool warm-weather drinks you can mix-up using milk. If you don't think milk is refreshing, then obviously you haven't tried this:


That there is a Red Velvet Frappé, and yes it tastes as amazing as it looks. In fact, when I asked my daughter if she thought it tasted like a red velvet cupcake she said, "No. It tastes BETTER." 

On hand to show us the fine art of summer drink mixing was Heather Perry, who is the two-time United States Barista Champion and who also holds a Guinness Book Record for building the world’s largest espresso machine. Can you imagine what you could do with the world's largest espresso machine? But enough of my deep dark fantasies.

Of course, no Got Milk event would be complete without an awesome spread of food. Here's just a sampling: their clever Chicken Finger BLT Sliders and some cones filled with delicious Spiced Nuts & Popcorn. I may or may not have eaten more than my share.


As they have done at other events, they had these ingenious drink stations set up where you could mix up your own frappés and smoothies. They supplied the ingredients and the recipes and you provided the muscle. Or, in my case my daughters' muscles.


I think I've mentioned before that the Got Milk events always take place at the coolest locations. This one was held at Art Works studio in Larchmont Village. So that while we were sipping on our refreshing concoctions we got to enjoy this as well:


Here's another delicious drink I had, gulped down so quickly I don't even remember what was in it. Some sort of combination of coffee, milk, cinnamon and a few other things that made me glad to be alive.


And because even just writing about these delectable beverages has put me in a generous, giving mood, I'm going to share a couple of recipes we sampled that day.

Red Velvet Frappé
Ingredients:
2 oz espresso or strongly brewed coffee
5 oz milk
1 tbsp cocoa
1 oz red food coloring
2 scoops vanilla ice cream
1 cup ice
whipped cream to taste

Directions:
Combine espresso and cocoa, stirring until cocoa is dissolved. Put mixture in blender along with ice cream, ice, milk, and food coloring. Blend until smooth. Pour into tall glasses and top with whipped cream.


Bananas Fosters Frappé 
Ingredients:
2 oz espresso or strongly brewed coffee
5 oz milk
1 tsp butter
¼ cup brown sugar
1 banana
1 scoop vanilla ice cream
1 cup ice

Directions:
Mix espresso, butter and brown sugar until they are thoroughly combined. Put in blender and add remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy. Top with whipped cream, a sprinkle of brown sugar and a slice of banana.

(These two drinks were my girls' favorites. And since they're their mother's daughters [and teenagers] they love coffee. But you can find coffee-free versions of all the drinks on the Got Milk website. Click on 'Recipes.')

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Pin It

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails