Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Their Milkshakes Bring All The Bloggers To The Yard

A couple of weeks ago I got to spend a few decadent hours tasting different varieties of milkshakes and sampling elegant pastries. And for once it wasn't just in my dreams! The whole thing took place at the über hip bld restaurant, and was put on by the Got Milk? team. These people know how to put on a party.

There were tables set up throughout the room, each one with a blender and ingredients to make a different milkshake. I had my two daughters with me, and as you can imagine my 11-year-old thought this was THE BEST PARTY EVER. A room with tables full of huge bowls of ice cream? She thought she had died and gone to heaven.





















Here she is making one* of our favorites, the Blueberry Malt Milkshake. I'm not a big fan of overly sweet drinks - this one was surprisingly light and refreshing. Well, as light as a drink made with half a pint of ice cream and whipped cream can be. But hey - we weren't here to watch our waistlines.





















*I say 'one' of our favorites, because my very favorite milkshake was the Tequila Milkshake. Not surprisingly, most of the other mom bloggers liked this one, too. Although we all joked that the next round would be Tequila Milkshake, hold the milkshake. Us mom bloggers are hi-larious!

But once you got tired of making your own drinks, there were milkshake baristas behind the bar whipping up all varieties of creamy goodness.





















Then you could just kick back and relax, and wait for the waiters to float by carrying their trays full of shot glasses of milkshake samples. We all just layed around and knocked 'em back like milkshake drunks. It was decadent I tell you, like Willy Wonka meets La Dolce Vita.

Behold the pastries! They were all made by Mariah Swan, bld's pastry chef. No, this isn't Mariah holding the tray, but this girl was so sweet I asked her to be in the photo. Also, just so you know, I wasn't responsible for the three pastries missing from that tray.





















They also had a couple of psychics there, and my daughters and I sat down for a reading with one of them. We were told the usual things - future riches! True love! Exciting adventures! But she also told me something different, that I would, and I quote, "Adopt an older boy who walked around all day wearing stereo headphones." This made us all laugh, but secretly I couldn't wait to give Eminem a call to let him know he'd be moving in soon.

So, an afternoon spent drinking milkshakes and noshing on gourmet pastries - definitely a nice way to break up the work week. It's even inspired me to finally replace my old, noisy 16-year-old blender so I can try out some of these recipes at home. I wonder if that's what the psychic meant when she told me there would be a shake-up in my future.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hey, if you want to try out some milkshakes yourself, bld hosts occasional Milkshake Madness events, where Mariah Swan whips up her concoctions at the counter. The next ones are on 8/23 and 9/27. Check the bld website for details.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

tags: got milk | | | mariah swan

Pin It

4 comments:

Lin said...

bld...breakfast, lunch and dinner. Isn't it just a great spot! My daughter lives close by and it's one of our favorite spots for breakfast. Also super, if you're in the area, is Milk. Super casual lunch/ice cream/desert and coffee spot.

NorCal Sistah said...

M - You have the BEST JOB EVER! When I come on my next visit will you mix me up a special milkshake (and, no, not your cat).

KC said...

A party involving tasting milkshakes all day long? I don't envy you. (I'm not bitter. I'm just lactose intolerant. I would have been the party pooper.)

sorry. had to. I'm 12.

Anonymous said...

Now I know there is a heaven....

Related Posts with Thumbnails