Monday, July 9, 2007

Beauty and the Bowl: My Shiny Adventures With Hi-Tech Bathroom Products

Awhile back I was asked by the Parent Bloggers Network to give my opinion on a toilet cleaner and a tub and tile cleaner, which they informed me they would be sending free of charge. I eagerly agreed, since everyone knows cleaning is high on my list of least favorite activities, right up there with jury duty and being picked last for kickball. It was like a dream come true - a clean bathroom, free of charge!

So imagine my surprise when I realized the 'cleaners' they were referring to weren't actually people coming over to clean my bathroom, but products. Deflated, I agreed. After all, free is free and that ring around my toilet bowl wasn't going to clean itself.

The first product I tried was the Kaboom Never Scrub Continuous Toilet Cleaning System. My husband was suspicious of this one, since he's wary of any 'unnecessary' chemicals coursing through our plumbing system. So, the hardest part was figuring out a way to do it behind the little tree-hugger's back. While other women wait until their husbands leave the house so they can empty the liquor cabinet or invite the FedEx man in for a back rub (okay, me neither) I get my thrills by illicitly installing toilet-cleaning devices. Hot!

I have to say it was remarkably easy to install, even for a non-handy person like myself. It definitely seemed to keep the toilet clean, although I was disappointed to see that it couldn't do a thing for that messy pile of Oprah magazines stacked next to it. One of the things I liked was that it didn't turn the water a hideous blue color that I've seen other cleaning systems do - to me this just screams to the world, "I'm not scrubbing my toilet!" Because ideally you want your toilet to look clean and still be able to complain about cleaning it to all your visitors.

The second product, Kaboom Shower, Tub & Tile Cleaner worked equally well, and actually did make my tired old tiles 'gleam.' It definitely worked best when you followed the directions to let the spray sit for a couple of minutes before rinsing, but if you're like me and two minutes seems like an eternity to spend cleaning your bathroom, an immediate rinsing still works well. My only problem with it was the spray seemed to come out unevenly, but that could have been due to a faulty valve, or the fact that my shower was so filthy it was actually scaring the spray back into the bottle.

The thing I liked best about both of these products was the mild scent. While most people like their bathrooms smelling like pomegranate essence or a field of daisies, I detest flowery, fruity scents and would prefer mine to have the ammonia smell of a hospital ward that can conjure up images of Nurse Ratched barreling down the hallway rolling an IV pole behind her. So the slightly soapy, mildly disinfectant scent of Kaboom is a nice compromise.

But don't take my word for it - try some Kaboom products for yourself. Check out their website at Kaboom.com and then go read what others have to say about these products at Parent Bloggers Network.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

tags: |

Pin It

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails